Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Last Day of the Tour - Hard to believe it's coming to an end

It's been a long Christmas Day....12 days so far...(Ah! The 12 Days of Christmas)


Yesterday was a typical cloudy and dizzling day in London with a good stiff breeze. Not deterred everyone got out to see the sites. Tina and I walked from the Hotel to Westminster through Piccadilly across the bridge to Waterloo where we had lunch and then along the Thames past the Royal Festival Hall and the London Eye up to Blackfriars Bridge, to St. Pauls Cathedral and then over to Leister Square where we met Tina's parents for dinner.

Along the way we met several of the choir having a good time. This morning Tina and I are off to the Tower of London and then Tina will carry on with her parents as I come back to the hotel to meet the choir for a 2:30 pm departure to Southwark. We will practice for the last time here in London before adding our music to worship at this wonderful Cathedral.

It's hard to believe that this tour is coming to an end. There has been a lot of tension, a lot of HARD WORK, and one or 2 tears along the way. In a conversation I had with one of the choir members, this person wasn't sure that they could keep up to the challenge and my demands of performance. I reminded this chorister that the reason I am so demanding and have been on this tour is because this choir is capable of performing at a Very High Level and when they don't I get frustrated. It is not about being part of the problem it is about being part of the solution.
The choir of St. Peters Erindale has done themselves exceedlingly proud while abroad. Not only musicially but physically as well. Miles of walking, schedules to keep, services and rehearsals to sing. Amidst all of this everyone still had an amazing time. (I hope they did anyway).

I'm sure there will be lots of tears tonight as we finish at Southwark and I'll be pleased to join right it. This has been a life changing experience.

Global Educational Tours has been amazing. Everything has gone according to schedule. A HUGE Thank you to Patrick and Col Shelbourne for ensuring that I could focus on music and that I was confident that my choristers were being taken care of.

St. Peters, your Cathedral choir is coming home to you. They have earned this title. They have been a Cathedral Choir in a Royal Chapel and today, they will be a Cathedral Choir in London England. Be Proud. I am.

From London
Don

No comments: