Wednesday, August 15, 2007

If this is Wednesday it must be Lincoln

Well I started the day with the hope of nice weather but sadly it's raining again. As I walked to the Cathedral this morning for 8 am mass followed by 90 mins of organ practice I was optimistic that we might have a good day (weatherwise) for the choirs day trip to York. The good news is that they all appear to be prepared for all weather conditions.

So they have left for York. I'm having a day of limited stress (just that of preparing for a recital tomorrow), prayer and reflection.

High mass tonight sung by the Cathedral Chamber Choir is on my schedule for tonight followed by more organ practice. I'm looking forward to tomorrow for several reasons: 1) Tina arrives in Lincoln to be with me for the rest of the tour. There are just too many amazing thing happening here and without my best friend, it's enjoyment (don't get me wrong, I'm having a blast), but it won't be complete until Tina arrives. 2) My recital 3) We gather again to sing as a choir and start recording out CD.

Lots of music in the next 4 days.

Until tonight. Have a great Wednesday!

1 comment:

David said...

It's easy to feel the ancient rhythms of life around this magnificent cathedral. The quarterly tolling of bells drawing people in and out of its precincts. The busy and curious visitors passing through and the solemn procession of the faithful all intermingling. The common thread between the faithful and curious is their sense of awe and wonder at the devotion and effort it took men with hammers and chisels to create this beacon of faith. The belief that founded it brings a profound sense of peace in the quiet corners where surrounded by ancient bones of the faithful, a candle is lit, a prayer is said. A labour of love and devotion on the quarter hour each and every day. The fragrance of incense, the smell of brass polish, the sound of hammers from the ongoing work, ensure that this is not a relic of medieval engineering, a beautiful ruin, but a living breathing entity filled with the rhythm of life. I am honoured and moved that our musical gifts can be shared, and our exhaled atoms can mingle with those of the millions who have raised their voices in the sound of echoing praise here. If Lincoln Cathedral is a beacon of faith, may we be the fire that lights it during our brief stay.