Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The end of Tuesday

Today was a very rainy and windy day here in Lincoln the cool misty rain chilled many but they still managed to handle a walking tour of this historic city.

For me, the day started with 90 minutes of rehearsal with James Mooney-Dutton to prepare for his lunch hour recital (which was excellent by the way). And then I was off for tea with the Precentor of the Cathedral. (I was honoured by this invitation). We discussed many things over the course of an hours including the state of church music in Canada and in the UK.

At noon I attended the noon mass as a quiet moment of reflection and found myself administering the chalice at communion. Needless to say I was again honoured.

I didn't have a chance to tell you about Monday's evensong as the Birthday celebration limited my ability to communicate effectively.

So Monday; the choir and I were all extremely nervous with anticipation of this monumental occasion. In preparation for the start of the service we all line up in the North Transept and wait there for the clergy. At 5:25 the clergy gives us a prayer and we begin the 5 minutes procession to the stalls. At 5:28 if my nerves weren't bad enough, the Chancellor came over and says "it would seem that the Precentor is late and would you mind awfully if you did the responses and the Office Hymn?" What was I to say except "of course, we'll take care of it!"

Thank goodness I wrote the responses because I murdered the plainsong office hymn with 30 seconds notice. Mercifully, the Precentor arrived in time for the second reading and I was off the hook for the rest of the responses. Nothing like Baptism by fire!

Suffice it to say, even with the wrong notes, it was all good and everything worked out.

Tonight was the Feast of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the day of the Cathedral's Patron Saint. So we had smoke and ceremony tonight. I loved it, just the way Evensong should be. The good news is no one passed out because of the smoke.

We'll it's 5 to 11 pm and time for me to retire. Tomorrow I start preparations for my recital on Thursday at 1:10 pm. Please say a prayer for me. I'll need it.

Good Night from Lincoln

These are the pictures from the party that have been screened for public viewing:

http://picasaweb.google.com/stpeterschoiruktour/England2007DonSBirthdayParty

No comments: