Sunday, July 8, 2007

Evensong at St. James

Well that's done.

This was a high pressure evening for me and for you as well. It was our last go in public before we hit the hallowed halls of Lincoln. I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed that we didn't start out more prepared. I really dislike having to drag you out of the mud to get things going. It takes a tremendous toll on me when we aren't focused and ready to go. So, that's the gut feeling about rehearsal.

The service according to my sources was really good. "The Howells was excellent" stated one listener. For me there are still points when you just give up with 1 or 2 beats to go. That needs to stop. You can't rely on the person next to you to carry it. This afternoon the sopranos found that out the hard way in the anthem, we'll get that right next time.

Over-all this afternoon went well, but I don't think it was the best you have ever done.
Emily, Mark and Richard did a great job on their solos but it was noted in the congregation that a bit more volume could have been done with. We'll work on that.

Choir, my friends, I'll leave you with this...
After the service, on my way back in for the photo's, Andrew Aager commented that he really enjoyed the afternoon. He also said: "You will come back in the fall right?" I said, "You only need invite us."

Congratulations on another job well done. Let's see if we can crank it up one more notch.
I think we can. Rest well, you deserve it.

One of these days we are going to actually have everyone show up!

No comments: