Tuesday, July 24, 2007

18 Days until Departure

What does it mean to you?

At the age of 7 years I was delivered to the crabby organist at St. John's Ancaster to sing in the Junior Choir. It was a memorable adventure to say the least. Why did I have to go and do this? Well, cause your parents said so, that's why! I spent 1 year with that choir before my parents moved to Kingston Ontario with my sister and I in tow. Upon my departure, the organist said: " here's a letter of introduction so that you can go and sing with Men and Boys at St. George's Cathedral." The hand written letter stated: "I'm not sending you a soloist but I'm sure Donald would make a good addition to the choir."

So off I went into the rank and file of this choral machine. For 8 years I sang my way through the ranks of the choir to become Head Chorister and sing some of the most amazing music of my life. That same music is that which you all now take part. Music that I hope will stay with you throughout your life. It is timeless and still invokes emotions inside that are deeply rooted.

It is my hope that as we walk along this road together and welcome new and interested choristers that you will be able to help them embrace this glorious music that has become part of the fabric of our ministry.

St. Peters Erindale has allowed us to become something much larger than anyone could have imagined (I'm not talking about my waist line either). Always strive for the best, never settle for mediocrity, always be humble and never forget to laugh.

Happy Tuesday.

No comments: