Friday, July 13, 2007

29 Days until Departure

OH MY - We are under 30 days.

Last night was a landmark rehearsal. Not only did you sing every Psalm in the book, for the most part, you did so with proficiency and sensitivity to text. Well done. We will continue to review 119, 85 and 91 & 93 over the next 2 rehearsals but that's it for the rest of them.
Please remember that we have many rehearsal in the UK to dust these off.

Last night as I listened to you all sing together (pitch aside) I realized how far we have truly come on our journey together. To be able to sing as a large group in cadence, in a large Cathedral and hold it together is really a wonderful accomplishment. I could feel the comfort in the large building starting to materialize. It takes quite a bit to adapt, doesn't it?
The Larkin was wonderful as was the Rachmaninov. As tiresome as it may have been the 90 minutes of Psalm singing was really good too.

Basses, you have an amazing presence when you employ all of the skills that Bruno has taught you in the master classes. It is what this choir requires in vocal support from the bass section. Keep it up guys.

As I said to you all last night, if we had to leave today for the UK, we could do it. Will we be that much better in 2 weeks? Yes we will. I'll send along the progress report card via email. We edge ever closer.

It's very exciting. BTW, my vestments look marvellous! Can't wait to wear them for the first time in England. See you all next Thursday. 7:00 pm sharp!

I'm very proud of all of you as you continue to make me proud to be your director. Thanks

2 comments:

Rip G said...

Excellent work last night. As you say, we're beginning to feel comfortable in a larger space.

One observation ... we're definitely a performance choir. Trying to wring emotion out of us singing the Rachmaninov to a darkened room is a waste of energy. We need an audience! I guarantee there'll be not a dry eye in the house ... and not because of pitch!!

Looking forward immensely to the next two Thursdays. The journey continues.

chantal said...

I enjoyed the rehearsal (once we finally got there - grrrrrrrrr to the QEW and Lakeshore!!). I will be glad though once rehearsals are done. As much as I like singing at the cathedral, it is a bit of an ordeal to make it there for 7 o'clock.

Still rehearsing in the car....even Veronica sings along sometimes!